Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Tribute to Tom McCunniff


I would like to dedicate this post to my loving father-in-law, Tom McCunniff. Tom went to be with his Lord and Savior just over 11 weeks ago on Sunday, June 9th. As I sit here thinking about what I want to say, I feel like it would be impossible for me to adequately describe the incredible man Tom was. I will do my very best to honor Tom with these words that follow. He touched my life in a big way, and I know I am a better person for having known him.

Just two days prior to his passing, Tom was in Waco for the birth of our son and his grandson, Wesley Thomas.  He was one very proud grandpa, and I will always cherish the memory of him rocking our baby boy in his arms while in our hospital room.  I’ll never forget looking over at him as he stared at his grandson with such admiration and a heart full of love.  Tom was so excited to be a grandfather, and he would call me periodically throughout my pregnancy to see how I was feeling and to check in on his soon to be grandson.  There was such joy in his eyes when he first met Wesley, and Bill and I will forever tell our son countless stories about his sweet grandfather.

Never in a million years could we imagine what would transpire just two days after the birth of our baby boy.  Though it came as a complete surprise to all of us, it was no surprise to God. We can now see how God orchestrated the weekend of Tom’s passing to be one of his best, as he was able to spend quality time with his wife and each of his children.  I know Tom and Lori drove home to Lubbock with happy hearts and feeling proud of their children for the wonderful things taking place in each of their lives. Tom could be so proud of his kids largely due to the amazing job that he and Lori did in raising them.

Bill, Sara, and Mark all had very close relationships with their dad, and I know they each admired and looked up to him immensely.  Tom’s father passed away when he was very young, and though he didn’t have an earthly father present for most of his life, he became the greatest father to his own three children.  I know Bill desires to be the kind of dad to Wesley that his dad was to him, and he’s doing an amazing job at it.  I know Tom is so very proud of his oldest son.

From my perspective, Tom was one of the most loving, humble, gracious, and selfless people I’ve ever known. From the moment I met him and entered his family, he welcomed me with open arms and made me feel special and right at home. He had the sweetest spirit about him, and he truly went out of his way to love people. He set such an example for us all of what it means to “love your neighbor as yourself.” Tom was a family man and put his faith and his family above all else. He loved the outdoors, and he literally took time to “stop and smell the roses.” He just had such a positive outlook on life! He lived a life of no regrets, and he could not have been a more incredible father, husband, son, brother, and friend.

I will always cherish the years Bill and I lived in Lubbock while Bill was in medical school. It was during our time there that I really got to know Tom. He was always available to help at a moment’s notice. He would come over to our house to let Scarlett out on countless occasions, or he would drive me to work when I didn’t have my car for some reason. He would pop in on random evenings after riding his bike from his house to ours just to say hi and see how our day went. Any time I would spend the night at their house, Tom would always greet me in the mornings with a smile and a hot cup of coffee. Bill and I spent numerous Sunday evenings out on the back porch at Tom and Lori’s with a glass of wine and slice of pizza. We had such great conversations as we set outside on those cool Lubbock evenings. Bill and I also loved going on double dates to Cap Rock CafĂ© or Las Brisas, where we were always very gracious when Tom took care of the bill. :) I also loved the occasions in which I had the opportunity cook dinner for Tom and Lori at our cozy little house.  They would often come over to eat dinner and watch a Baylor football or basketball game on TV. The memories are many, and I will always hold each and every one close to my heart. Tom was always encouraging, always supportive, and always loving.

Our hearts ache because we miss him and wish he were still here to experience life with us. Though it seems as though he went to his eternal home all too soon, we know that God has a divine plan even when we can’t always understand it or like it. Tom’s legacy is one of love, and he inspires me to live my life with more selflessness, passion, and love. I loved my father-in-law, and I look forward to the day that we will all be reunited in heaven.  I am so thankful for our faith, the gift of salvation, and the promise of eternity with Christ for those who believe. Tom believed and is therefore with his Creator. I am certain that he is having the time of his life as he meanders along the streets of heaven, taking in the beautiful sights and sounds and talking to every person along the way. He is happily reunited with his mom and dad, and I know he’s probably laughed many a laughs with my beautiful Aunt Yvonne.

We love you, Tom.  Thank you for loving us and for blessing our lives so richly.  I have tears in my eyes as I think about how greatly we miss you, but I smile because I know we will be with you again.  

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." 1 Corinthians 2:9

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38

"...and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:2

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28


Our wedding day: December 19, 2009


Goofing off on the dance floor and dancing with his beautiful bride.


Such a special father/son bond that these two shared.


Relaxing at their favorite place- the cabin in Colorado


Hard at work building a fence for our house in Lubbock. These three worked hard!!


Dinner at our house for Tom and Lori's 30th Anniversary


Sara and her daddy on her wedding day: July 23, 2011


Celebrating the birthday boy on his 27th birthday.


Enjoying a night with family at La Diosa 



Residency Match Day 2012


Mother's Day dinner at our house 




Bill's medical school graduation and two very proud parents!


Enjoying a cup of coffee on the back patio the morning of Bill's graduation




The guys playing golf in Port Aransas last summer.



The whole McCunniff clan and the fish we caught!


Being cheesy on the beach. :)



Sharing the news that there was a grand baby on the way!


A very proud Grammie and Grandpa

 Gender Reveal Party and finding out that we were having a baby boy!


Induction day! 


Bill telling everyone that Wesley Thomas had been born. Look at that excitement!


Grandpa and his precious grandson





Looking at Wesley with such admiration and love


Wesley loved the feel of his Grandpa's hands.


Wesley's precious feet with Grandpa's (and now Bill's) ring.




No comments:

Post a Comment