Christmas this year was different than any previous one for us. First off, a certain baby boy was here to experience his first Christmas, and he managed to put a smile on the face of everyone. Secondly, it was different because we all missed my father-in-law, Tom, so incredibly much. We felt the void of his missing presence, and while we longed for him to be celebrating with us on this earth, we knew that the celebration he was partaking in trumped ours by a long shot. We will always love and remember the many sweet memories (and wonderful Christmas memories) shared with Tom. He brought so much joy to life!
Like his Grandpa, Wesley brings joy to our lives too! Though he didn't have a clue as to what Christmas meant this year, he did enjoy his many new toys (and boxes, gift bags, and wrapping paper galore). :) There's just something so sweet and special about having a baby as part of the Christmas celebration! I think it reminds us of the purity and innocence of Baby Jesus. As a mom now, I felt like I could relate to Mary in a way like never before. I can't imagine the weight she must have felt upon her shoulders as she bore this child, God in flesh, to care for and raise. She was "Mom" to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords! I certainly don't have the same responsibility as Mary, but I do have a responsibility to "train my child in the way he should go." I don't view that as a responsibility to be taken lightly. Though the task can feel daunting at times, I'm so thankful to have the help and support of a loving husband and of God who guides us each day.
My prayer is that Wesley would grow to one day understand and embrace the true meaning of Christmas. I pray he would fall deeply in love with Christ and that he would live out his life devoted to the one who gave his life for him. While Santa and the giving of gifts is always a lot of fun (and grandparents sure know how to shower a grandchild with gifts!), I'm excited that Bill and I will get to share with our little boy the most important aspect of Christmas- the love of God poured down on us through his son. What an amazing gift to be cherished!
Over Christmas we spent several days in Lubbock with Bill's side of the family, before heading back to Waco to celebrate Christmas with my side. It's fun having multiple Christmas celebrations with different families and different traditions. We loved every bit of it! What we didn't love quite so much was the fact that Wesley was sick off and on a lot during the month of December (and on into January). It's sad and exhausting having a sick baby! This time of year is pretty rough on the little ones, so I'll be ready for spring to roll around. All in all, Wesley's first Christmas was a success, and we look forward to many more Christmas seasons spent with our son!
Wesley and Johnny's first picture with Santa...Unfortunately they both got sick after visiting Santa!
Family Christmas card picture
This little guy is dressed and ready for Christmas!
Family picture before heading to the Christmas Eve service in Lubbock
Christmas morning!!
Sara asked for scarves, and scarves she got! :)
Mark and Jenny woke up dressed and ready in their Santa attire!
Family love!
Santa dropped off lots of awesome goodies!!
Baby's first Christmas!
Big Wesley and little Wesley. I love these two!
A beautiful Christmas table
Bill put his new otoscope to use immediately. Now he can check for ear infections from home!
Bill and I gave Mom and Dad a memory box to document all the years of fun we shared while watching Baylor football at Floyd Casey Stadium. There could not be two more devoted Baylor fans!
We loved having Boyd home for Christmas!
Christmas morning round two!
And Santa showed up again!
Baby heisman pose perhaps?!
Wesley loved his new stuffed animals!
He also loved digging into his stocking.
Wesley loves wearing the hat that his Grandpa picked out for him for Christmas.
Fun in his new car!
How can this sweet face not put a smile on your face?
Wesley enjoyed spending some time with his great grandparents, Sugar and Granddaddy & Mimi and Judge over Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment