Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Bill and I spent this past Memorial Day weekend relaxing in Lubbock, and it was great. After traveling for the two weekends prior and getting ready to be gone most weekends this summer, staying home was a much needed break!

On Saturday we invited Bill's parents over for a home-cooked meal to celebrate their 30th anniversary. We did our grocery shopping Friday night, and I spent most of the day Saturday cleaning and cooking. Bill's brother and sister, Mark and Sara, were so sweet to chip in to help pay for everything, and they sent video messages for Tom and Lori to watch after dinner. It was such a fun evening! We also made a play list of 70's and 80's love songs for the occasion, and I made cute little menus to go with each place setting on the table. The night's menu consisted of grilled fillets (cooked perfectly medium rare thanks to Bill), twice baked potatoes, green been bundles with brown sugar glaze, fresh fruit salad, homemade biscuits (delicious recipe found here), and Kentucky butter cake with whipped cream for dessert. I think it's safe to say that we were all stuffed by the end of the night. I definitely savored and enjoyed every last bite!

It was a blast spending the evening celebrating my parents-in-law, both of whom I am extremely thankful to have in my life. It's been the biggest blessing to have them here in Lubbock, and they have truly made my transition of being married and moving here so much easier from day one. Bill and I look forward to going over to their house for pizza every Sunday night, and we love the summer days when we go over to swim and grill out. Scarlett also loves her grandparents! They help us out immensely when it comes to letting her out if I can't make it home for lunch or keeping her for the night on occasion. I couldn't ask for a better mother and father-in-law, and I look forward to seeing how God blesses them in their next 30 years of marriage!

The rest of our memorial day weekend was pretty much spent relaxing by the pool and grilling out. It was so nice to be lazy and not have any set plans. Bill even took a break from studying for most of the day Monday to hang out and relax. I love days like that! The entire weekend felt like a great start to what will hopefully be a great (and very hot) summer!



Menu for the evening

Happy Anniversary!


a delicious anniversary dinner
Scarlett was also in relaxation mode for the weekend. :)

1 comment: