I would like to dedicate this post to my amazing dad in honor of Father’s Day yesterday. I’m not even sure where to begin in talking about all the ways in which I admire him! Since the day I was born and my dad happily proclaimed, “It’s a girl!” until now, over 25 years later, my dad and I have shared a very unique father/daughter bond.
He’s always been my number one fan and supporter. I can't remember a choir concert, dance team competition, or Sing performance where my dad wasn't front and center cheering me on. My dad coached me in softball for years when I was little, but most importantly he’s been my coach in life. He’s taught me that the most important thing in life is to know and follow Christ. He's taught me to believe and have confidence in myself. He’s taught me the importance of having compassion and giving of ourselves to bless others. He's taught me to laugh more and worry less. He's taught me to appreciate the beauty of creation and to find joy in the simple things in life. More than just teaching me, my dad has shown me what it looks like to live life doing all the things he's taught me.
I admire how my dad has so willingly given a great deal of his time and money to providing for those in need. He’s also been the constant provider and spiritual leader for our family, and the way in which my dad loves and treats my mom is the greatest example I’ve seen of sacrificially loving and respecting your spouse. Did I mention how charming and handsome my dad is?! :) His love, support, humor, patience, generosity, wisdom, encouragement, and guidance has significantly impacted my life more than he will ever know.
I can remember all the nights growing up when my dad would come in my room before I went to sleep to tell me goodnight. He would pray with me and then tell me a funny story (which typically included tails of his make believe sisters Ashley, Emily, and Sarah or his hunting adventures with "buckocks" and "frubucks"), and he would close by singing his signature song, “Victory in Jesus.” It was our nightly routine for all the years I lived at home, and I loved it. I also cherish all the Sunday evenings I used to spend with my dad as we sat in the study and went over and memorized scripture together. To this day, I can recall many of the verses we memorized together in the moments I need them most.
On a lighter note, I’ll never forget all the times we would drive to Baylor football games with the windows of his suburban rolled down and the Baylor fight song blaring through the speakers in an effort to get everyone motivated for the big game. Even through years of losing seasons, my dad has remained ever positive in his outlook for Baylor football.
I also love my dad for his outlook on life. I can easily say that he is the most positive person I know. Where I see the glass half empty at times, my dad always sees the glass half full. He is the prime example of someone who “doesn’t sweat the small stuff.” When I worry, my dad knows exactly how to make me laugh and realize that in reality I have nothing at all to worry about. I’ve mentioned it before in explaining the reason behind the title of my blog, but my dad’s theme for life could be summed up in the words, “Now is the time!” My dad does not let the concerns of everyday life get in his way of living life to the fullest and enjoying every single moment he’s blessed with.
My dad has touched the lives of countless numbers of people, and I know a great deal of people have the utmost respect for him. He, perhaps more than anyone I know, lives life with a heavenly mindset rather than an earthly one. His walk with the Lord is evident in everything he does! He’s taught sunday school for about 30 years, and his discipline in studying the Word and preparing for every lesson is inspiring. He is dedicated to his relationship with Christ, and my dad is not ashamed to share the gospel with anyone! I could tell story after story of all the times he has shared his testimony with friends, strangers, coworkers, family, students in his insurance class, etc. I look up to my dad with the greatest admiration and respect, and his example continues to show me so much about how I hope to live my own life.
I know my dad’s life is not perfect. He deals with trials and difficulties just like anyone else, but it’s his attitude that makes all the difference. He’s always told me that it’s a choice, and he chooses to faithfully trust God and find hope and joy in everything. My dad doesn’t just talk the talk. He walks the walk and lives his life to glorify Christ. He has this way of making life fun and exciting, and there’s never a dull moment around my dad!
One of the greatest moments I have shared with my dad came the day that I married Bill. I was overwhelmed with joy and emotion as my dad (the man who had always been the number one man in my life) held my arm and walked me down the aisle to marry the man of my dreams (and the man who would soon become the number one man in my life). My dad's appreciation and love for Bill means the world to me, and I simply can't describe the sweetness and emotion my dad and I shared in that amazing moment of words unspoken. My dad always has and always will hold a very special place in my heart.
I love you, Dad. I couldn’t ask for a better father in the world. Thank you for all the times (I know they have been many!) in which you have so patiently listened to me and offered me the greatest “fatherly” advice out there. Thank you for all the encouraging letters and emails you’ve written me throughout my life. I cherish everything about you, and I’m forever grateful to call you my dad!
Daddy's baby girl
Daddy's little girl
All grown up but forever daddy's girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment